This post may contain affiliate links, or we may earn money from the companies mentioned in this post. For more information on this, please visit our legal page.
I am definitely an advocate for clearing out the fridge with leftovers. But instead of throwing them out, why not cook something delicious out of those leftovers? In this article, I’m sharing a pasta recipe made of ingredients you’d normally find in the fridge. I’ve also shared another pasta recipe called Pesto Pasta With Cheesy Chicken, if you want to check it out.
Red Onion Chicken & Mushroom Recipe
With the mushrooms starting to go stale and a lonesome onion in the drawer this was a delicious meal that actually made 3 days worth of lunches which was an absolute result! I threw on some cheese and voila it was sorted.
*These ingredients make 3 lunch portions—adjust accordingly if you want to yield more servings*
- 30g Grated Mature Cheese
- 120g Penne Pasta
- 1 Chopped Red Onion
- 200g Sliced Mushrooms
- 200g Chopped Chicken
- 1 Tsp Olive Oil
Follow these simple instructions to cook this Red Onion, Chicken & Mushroom Pasta Recipe.
- Bring the pasta to the boil
- whilst this is cooking, chop the chicken breasts and place along with the olive oil in a large saucepan on a medium heat
- Stir and allow the chicken to cook on the outside
- Once it is completely white on the outside add the red onion and stir frequently for 3-5 minutes
- Add in the mushroom slices and stir for a further 5 minutes
- Drain the pasta, add to the mixture and stir
- Sprinkle some of the cheese and stir in into the pasta so that it melts
- Separate into portions and top with the remaining cheese.
*You can reheat this in the microwave or a saucepan – you might want to top with some fresh cheese when you are ready to eat!*
I’ve also shared my other recipes on this page, so you can check them out!