This easy spelt pasta recipe is a new favourite for meal prep!
It’s that time again, where I hunt for new easy recipes that I can cook up, box up for meal prep and easily re-heat. If you are a regular reader you know I much prefer to cook up my food ahead of time and reheat it (I outline the reasons why in this post here.) I have a variety of different go-to recipes which you can look at in the Recipes Index but I don’t feel I have enough at the moment to keep from being bored so I am experimenting. One of my new favourite ingredients is spelt pasta, I find it more filling and it tastes a little different so it makes cooking with it more diverse and mixes up traditional dishes I cook!
In this pasta variation, I use frozen chopped vegetables (here are some of things to freeze for easier meal planning) to make it easier for me to cook up and aim to take less time cooking in general. This is my current favourite
- 100g Spelt Fussili Pasta
- 30g Green Pesto
- 100g Chopped Carrots
- 100g Broccoli
- 100g Chicken
Optional: Grated cheese to top (sometimes I do, sometimes I don’t)
1. Boil the carrots and broccoli together in a saucepan until they are slightly tender.
2. At the same time boil the pasta in a big pan, bigger than you normally need for the amount of pasta.(you may find spelt pasta takes a little bit longer, particularly if you like it a bit softer)
3. Meanwhile, chop the chicken and gently fry in a small amount of olive oil. You can also grill them if you prefer, both ways are tasty.
4. Drain the vegetables and pasta.
5. Once the chicken is cooked, on a low heat stir it in with the pasta and then add half the pesto.
6. Mix it together until completely covered and then gently fold in the vegetables with the rest of the pesto.
*If you want to add cheese, wait until you are going to eat it before adding it otherwise it goes funny when being reheated.
Other Meal Prep Meals To Try:
You may also like these Pinterest Boards: