This recipe is so easy that I didn’t bother taking pictures for the method this time (forgive me!).
With only 4 ingredients it is one of my favourite working lunches because it is filling, tasty and really quick to cook (also you can eat pasta with chicken one handed! perfect for researching – multitasking!).
I like to use reduced fat pesto, cheese and no oil when cooking the chicken, as well as wholemeal penne to make it a little healthier but by adding mature cheddar it doesn’t compromise the taste. It should take around 20-25 minutes start to finish
40g Reduced Fat Green Pesto
30g Lighter Mature Cheddar (chop into small pieces)
100g Wholemeal Penne Pasta
100g Chicken (chop into chunks)
- Bring the pasta to a boil
- Dry fry the chopped chicken (without oil), stir frequently to stop it from sticking (this browns the chicken and makes it a little crispier, you can add oil or low calorie cooking spray if you prefer)
- Once the pasta is cooked, drain it and add back to the saucepan
- On a low heat add the cheese and pesto
- Stir continuously until the cheese is melted
- Serve and top with the cooked chicken
The joy of this recipe is that you can also easily measure up and down to cook it in bulk for a week’s worth of healthier lunches! and yes, it really is that simple!