This post may contain affiliate links, or we may earn money from the companies mentioned in this post. For more information on this, please visit our legal page.
Don’t let the cereal fool you, these sweetie nest treats are definitely not a healthy breakfast alternative (although the boys have tried to convince me otherwise!)
The last time I went food shopping, I made the phenomenal parenting mistake of buying normal Shreddies instead of frosted Shreddies and this resulted in multiple complaints from the foodies that inhabit my house (would you believe, the husband moaned the most). Since I needed to get rid of them somehow and the boys refused to eat them as they were, I decided to smother them in chocolate and get rid of them that way… Unsurprisingly it worked because I created these sweetie nest treats!
You normally see these sorts of things at Easter time (because of the whole, nest, chick, new life thing) but since we had some leftover smarties from Halloween I decided that there was nothing to stop us making them now (we are rebels!). You could choose to fill them with whatever you like, I want to try Rolo’s or Hershey’s Kisses next time because they are both delicious too and the best part is this is a no-bake recipe so no need to worry about melting etc! If you are looking for pure indulgence for the “kids” (and me and the hubs!) then right this way, just be aware that there is nothing healthy about these so if you are looking for motivation to eat clean you will need to check out the clean eating index, if you are on a cheat day however, you have come to the right place!
450g Milk Chocolate (you could also substitute white or dark whichever your preference)
300g PLAIN Shreddies (or other fiber cereal) – Don’t use sugared cereal or they won’t sleep for a week, there is enough sugar in these already!
1.Place the shreddies in a ziplock bag and use a rolling pin to smash them into small pieces. For smaller cereal such as Cheereos, you can skip this step because they mould together quite nicely without having to mash them.
2. Melt the chocolate in a double boiler or the microwave (be sure to microwave in bursts to avoid it from burning) and then combine the broken up cereal and chocolate together.
3. Mix until all the cereal has been coated by the chocolate and make sure that you have searched the bottom as the dry bits tend to collect there.
4. Add in your sweeties, here is where we mixed in the smarties and make sure not to do it too hard or you might break them apart which you don’t want.
5. Spoon the mixture into cake cases, I also like to add them to a cupcake tray because they are a bit deeper and helps to keep the shape while they are warm.
6. Place in the fridge for two hours and then remove from the cupcake tray and the cases if you want to, and try not to eat them all at once!