Learn more about our feline friends with these awesome cat facts
Did You Know?
- A cat can jump up to 5 times its own height (the wonderful thing about Tiggers comes to mind)
- Cats can make over 100 vocal sounds (dogs can make only 10) –see where I found this fact here.
- The heaviest domestic cat recorded was Himmy weighing in at a whopping 21.3kg(46.8lbs) – check out his Guinness world record here.
- A Group of Adult cats is called a clowder
- A Group of kittens is called a kindle
- A Male Cat is called a Tom
- A Female cat is called a Molly or a Queen (Queen Pheonix would approve)
- Whiskers are not actually like human hairs – they are touch receptors called vibrissae – read more about whiskers here.
- Normal Cats have 18 toes
- Guinness world records recognizes “Jake “ a Canadian polydactyl cat with 28 toes as the highest number of toes on a cat! – Check out Jakes record here.
- Black cats used to be associated with witches
- A cat can’t climb headfirst down a tree because cats’ claws point the same way therefore they must back down. (I learnt this cool one from here.)
- There are currently over 55 recognised cat breeds (and a few that haven’t been recognized yet!)
- A house cat can hit speeds of about 30mph/48km/h (That must be a tasty mouse ) – check out other animal speeds here.
- Cats Have 500 skeletal muscles (Humans only have 650)
- Most adult cats are Lactose- intolerant (milk will give them bad tummies and if they have too much bladder stones – ouch) – I swear it’s right here.
- The oldest cat was called Creme Puff who passed away at the ripe old age of 38 – other golden oldies are here.
- The world’s most expensive cat called Zeus (luckily not my Zeus) has an asking price of £100,000 because he is 90% Asian leopard Cat (ALC ) and only 10% Domestic shorthair – weird. And expensive.
- The Richest cat was called Blackie who was left an astonishing £7 million after his owner Ben Rea died (the cat could hire ME as HIS butler) – see here
- The Largest litter of domestic cats is 19 (ouch) – see here.
- Cats have glands on the sides of their faces which means when they rub up against things with their face they are scent marking.
- Cats with more than 3 colours are female ( there are genetic mutations leading to male cats with the XXY chromosome meaning they are sterile but these are extremely rare and as a genetic mutation my fact still stands so there !)
If you think these are crazy, weird and wonderful cat facts then give it a share or Pin it 🙂
You may also be interested in checking out #CatWeek2015, #CatWeek2016, #CatWeek2017 for tons more cat posts, advice and cute catness.